Working with International Entities

Researchers who wish to conduct human subjects research in countries outside the United States or its territories must obtain approval from the host country’s ethics committee and from the CHR at UCSF.

  • The CHR expects the standards for human subjects protection are no less than those that apply to US-based research.
  • The appropriate Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Independent Ethics Committee (IEC) must be in place and all federally funded studies must have Federalwide Assurance (FWA) before the study can begin.

More international ethics and compliance information can be found on the CHR website.  Investigators are also encouraged to read the regulatory guidance available on the Clinical Research HUB.

Last updated: March 18, 2015